Wednesday, January 13, 2010

ETR: Be Relentless

Early to Rise
Home | Archives | Contact | Privacy Policy | Whitelist Us | Unsubscribe

Issue No. 2854 - $1.00

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Are You Prepared to Do What It Takes?
By Jason Holland

I have a friend who, after 15 years with same national retail chain, is still working as assistant manager in a local store. All the co-workers he started with have advanced well past him. And he doesn't understand why. He blames "politics."

But after reading Robert Ringer's essay today, I think I know the real reason.

Although my friend is great with customers, an effective supervisor, well-liked by his boss, never late, and always has perfect performance reviews... there is one thing he is not doing that is undermining his success.

-----------------------------------------------------Highly Recommended -----------------------------------------------------

So Where Do You Invest Your Money? - Traditional investments a bit unpredictable these days. If you haven't noticed... But certain "off the Street" investments are booming. Why? They make money whether the market goes up or down. Find out more about them here.


"Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me, it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly."

Julie Andrews

Be Relentlessness in Pursuit of Your Dreams
By Robert Ringer

Although virtually everyone agrees that "time is money," I'm convinced most people only pay lip service to this truism. If you're really serious about it, you need to come to grips with the reality that the key ingredient for converting time into money is self-discipline.

The greatest catalyst for an undisciplined person is pain, and pain comes in many forms.

Physical pain, for instance, can be the catalyst for becoming self-disciplined when it comes to exercise and healthy eating. Financial pain can be the catalyst for having the self-discipline to work when you're tired or sick, or when you'd rather be out having fun. And then there's the pain that comes from a lost love, which can give you the self-discipline to be a better partner when love comes your way again.

Years ago, when I was still single, I became good friends with a professional football player who was something of a celebrity due to his stellar performance in the NFL. "Bill" was not only a phenomenal athlete, he was extremely intelligent and possessed extraordinary talents in many other areas.

Bill approached me at the health club we both belonged to and introduced himself. He said he had read my first book, and considered it to be his "bible." Obviously, I was flattered.

Bill had been working on a book of his own for a couple of years, but was having trouble completing it. As I got to know him over the next three years, it became easy to see why. Notwithstanding everything he had going for him, he was totally lacking in one important area: self-discipline.

At that stage of my life, I was attracted to the proposition of having a good time, but I never allowed that to interfere with my work. I normally went to bed between 8:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., woke around 4:30 a.m., jogged a few miles, and was at my Selectric typewriter by 8:00 a.m. or so. As a result, over the three-year period I was friends with Bill, I wrote two more books, both of them bestsellers.

Through it all, Bill was constantly urging me to "live it up" with him. He'd often chide me, saying, "C'mon, don't be a party pooper. Lighten up. Sometimes, you've got to let it all hang out."

During that three-year period, while I was finishing two successful books, Bill spent his nonpartying time moaning and groaning about changing the premise of his book, endlessly reorganizing his material, and tinkering with -- of all things -- the title. To me, these appeared to be nothing more than stalling tactics to avoid the gut-wrenching work of actually bringing his book to completion.

As a result, Bill missed his window of opportunity. Because, as everyone knows, fame is fleeting. The door closes very rapidly once you're out of the limelight. While he was playing in the NFL, it would have been easy for him to find a major publisher for his book. When you get your shot in life, you have to take it.

When I look back on my relationship with Bill, there were two defining moments.

The first occurred when I was putting in 14- to 16-hour workdays, seven days a week, on my books. I vividly recall Bill looking very discouraged after I refused to party with him one night. "How could I ever compete with someone as self-disciplined as you?" he said. "You're relentless. You would just wear me down through attrition."

It struck me as bizarre that this famous, multitalented person was telling me he couldn't compete with me. Ridiculous. The truth of the matter is that he could have written two or three bestselling books in the time I knew him. In fact, with 100 percent effort, he could have beaten me at just about anything. And doors were open to him that certainly weren't open to me. He would have had a good shot at an acting career... or maybe broadcasting.

Instead, Bill chose instant, daily, and (worse) nightly gratification over potentially huge benefits down the road.

Maybe Bill was just lazy, right? Sorry, not a valid excuse. The truth is, most people are lazy at heart -- especially most successful people. They become self-disciplined out of necessity.

"Every morning I have a little fight with myself," a very successful marketer once told me. "I have to force myself to haul it out of bed and into the office." Well, I know the feeling. Everyone who has heard me speak knows how strongly I believe in the need to force yourself to take action.

The second defining moment in my relationship with Bill was when he told me he had developed the ability to bluff his way though practice after a hard night out on the town. He said he had mastered the art of going through the motions in such a way that it appeared that he was working at full throttle.

Sadly, Bill carried that same attitude into his aborted writing career and life beyond football. In my view, it's the reason he's not ensconced in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, where others with less talent but far more self-discipline will be forever honored.

Self-discipline is about restraining, or regulating, your actions -- repressing the instinct to act impulsively in favor of taking rational, long-term-oriented actions. My short-lived friendship with Bill was immensely beneficial to me. It made me realize that self-discipline -- a trait that every human being has the capacity to develop -- gave me the power to outperform people who are far more intelligent and talented than I am.

[Ed. Note: To learn how to survive and prosper during the turbulent years ahead, check out Robert Ringer's powerful audio series Succeeding in a World of Chaos. And be sure to sign up for a FREE subscription to his one-of-a-kind e-letter A Voice of Sanity in an Insane World.]

-----------------------------------------------------Highly Recommended -----------------------------------------------------

Do You Make the Most of Your Time? - Michael Masterson has a super-busy schedule. But he can still make time to do what he loves. Can you do the same? If you feel hemmed in by deadlines and obligations... and never have time for yourself... let success mentor Bob Cox show you his proven time-management techniques. Read more...


"Saved me a fortune."

"Perfect timing! I had just finished a children's book, 'Building Blocks of Prosperity,' when that article appeared.

"Knowing to concentrate on e-book sales rather than print has most likely saved me a fortune."

Robert Schwarztrauber

-----------------------------------------------------Highly Recommended-----------------------------------------------------

Making Money Online Is Not Complicated If You Are Not Greedy

Most Internet marketing programs promise you millions but deliver only huge instruction manuals filled with arcane language and sophisticated strategies that are impossible to follow.

But if you are not greedy -- if you are happy with making an extra $250 to $500 a day, working less than an hour -- there is a new marketing method you should know about. It takes advantage of the most commonly used Internet application -- e-mail. Read more...


Today's Words That Work: Attrition

Attrition (uh-TRISH-un) -- from the Latin for "friction" -- is the wearing down or weakening of resistance as a result of continuous pressure.

Example (as used by Robert Ringer today): "'How could I ever compete with someone as self-disciplined as you?' he said. 'You're relentless. You would just wear me down through attrition.'"


We want your feedback! Let us know your thoughts on today's issue. Email us at: AskETR@ETRFeedback.com

Whitelist Our Email | Click Here to Unsubscribe | Customer Service | Feed Back

Copyright © 2010 Early to Rise, LLC.

NOTE: If URLs do not appear as live links in your e-mail program, please cut and paste the full URL into the location or address field of your browser. Disclaimer: Early to Rise only recommends products that we've either personally checked out ourselves, or that come from people we know and trust. For doing so, we receive a commission. We will never recommend any product that does not have a 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee.


Nothing in this e-mail should be considered personalized Financial Advice. Although our employees may answer your general customer service questions, they are not licensed under securities laws to address your particular investment situation. No communication by our employees to you should be deemed as personalized Financial Advice. We expressly forbid our writers from having a financial interest in any security recommended to our readers. All of our employees and agents must wait 24 hours after on-line publication or 72 hours after the mailing of printed-only publication prior to following an initial recommendation. Any investments recommended in this letter should be made only after consulting with your investment advisor and only after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

To unsubscribe from Early to Rise and any associated external offers, Click here.

To contact us, please visit... http://www.supportatetr.com/helpdesk To cancel or for any other subscription issues, write us at: Order Processing Center


Attn: Customer Service
PO Box 7835
Delray Beach, Florida 33482

No comments:

Post a Comment